Security tightens for this year's Balloon Fiesta
October 05, 2017 05:14 PM
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. -- After the devastation in Las Vegas, many are wondering about the security at the Balloon Fiesta. Officials say don't worry: It will be the safest place to be in New Mexico.
Hundreds of thousands of people from all over the world will make up the crowds at Balloon Fiesta Park during the Fiesta's nine-day stretch. Public safety officials say even though there have been no threats, they will remain on high alert and won't take any chances.
"Rest assured, I believe with all the men and women in local, state and federal law enforcement here, we have one of the strongest collaboratives in the entire country," Bernalillo County Sheriff Manny Gonzales said.
Albuquerque Police Department Chief Gorden Eden said they changed their security plans a few weeks ago before the Las Vegas massacre after reviewing the plans from last year. After the tragedy, they made some enhancements.
"If you want me to disclose them, then they wouldn't be enhanced, therefore we're not going to talk about it other than that we have changed it," Eden said.
Officers will be making bag checks to ensure nothing dangerous is brought into the park. They're also taking extra steps to reduce balloon and equipment theft with new placards being placed in vehicles whose owners are participating in the balloon shows.
"We will be monitoring for the whole 10 days of the Balloon Fiesta," State Insurance Inspector John Franchini said.
Officials say they will have a public safety tent set up so if you need any assistance, you can find them there. They also encourage parents to "tag" their children at the gates. That way if children get lost, officials will have all the information needed to reunite them with parents.
Updated: October 05, 2017 05:14 PM
Created: October 05, 2017 01:21 PM
Copyright 2017 KOB-TV LLC, a Hubbard Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved