Lawnmower sparks small fire in Bosque | KOB 4

Lawnmower sparks small fire in Bosque

Eddie Garcia
February 08, 2018 05:19 PM

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. -- Any time there's a visible plume of billowing smoke coming from the Bosque, it's cause for concern.


Especially in a severe drought.

Especially for those like Scott Schaffer, who lives right next door like.

"I was driving back across the bridge, saw a plume of smoke and called 911," Schaffer said.

Firefighters from Albuquerque and Bernalillo County, quickly jumped into action, knocking down the small fire in less than an hour. According to a county fire spokesman, the cause was a malfunctioning lawnmower operated by county open space.

It was not what Gary and Anne Frale were expecting, on their morning stroll.

"Very surprising. I thought somebody flipped a cigarette or something," Gary Frale said.

"That's what we were thinking because there was no lightning or anything," added Anne Frale.

Although the burn scar appears extremely small, there's a bigger message here. Advancing, severe drought is only worsening throughout the state.

"Well if a lawnmower can start that, then think about your cigarettes or anything else," Anne Frale said.

"Just be careful," added Gary Frale.


Eddie Garcia

Copyright 2018 KOB-TV LLC, a Hubbard Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved



Relay Media Amp



City Council considers sales tax to address public safety

Good Samaritan came to the rescue in SE Albuquerque, APD says

Animal Welfare associate director on leave amid probe

Pay It 4ward: Coaches making a difference in wrestler's life

Got a poop problem? Company conducts canine feces forensics