Fire restrictions implemented on three Cibola Forest districts
KOB.com Web Staff
June 15, 2017 06:48 PM
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. -- The U.S. Forest Service is implementing Stage I fire restrictions on three New Mexico districts in the Cibola Forest, officials said Thursday.
Officials said record warm temperatures and exceptionally dry fuel moisture levels are expected to increase the fire danger level significantly this week, causing Stage I fire restrictions to be implemented in parts of the Cibola National Forest and National Grasslands.
The fire restrictions will be effective on the following dates:
- Mt. Taylor Ranger District – June 16, 2017
- Mountainair Ranger District – June 15, 2017
- Sandia Ranger District – June 23, 2017
Under Stage I fire restrictions, the following are prohibited:
- Building or maintaining a fire, campfire, charcoal, coal, or wood stove
- Explosives, fireworks, or any pyrotechnic devices
Smoking, except within a vehicle, building, developed recreation site, or in an area at least 3’ in diameter that contains no grasses or flammable material
Petroleum-fueled stoves and lanterns are allowed, provided they meet the fire underwriter’s specifications for safety.
The restriction orders will remain in effect until Dec. 31, 2017, or until rescinded.
Violations are punishable by a fine of $5,000 for individuals, $10,000 for organizations, and/or six months of imprisonment.
A temporary closure order is in place in the Dog Head Fire burn area in the Manzano Mountains. That fire sparked around this time last year. Hundreds of people were forced to evacuate, and dozens of homes were destroyed.
The National Forest Service says the purpose of the closures is to protect public health and safety while fire rehabilitation activities are underway. No campgrounds are affected.
The closure is expected to stay in place through the end of this month.
KOB.com Web Staff
Updated: June 15, 2017 06:48 PM
Created: June 15, 2017 02:57 PM
Copyright 2017 KOB-TV LLC, a Hubbard Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved