From the ashes, work progressing on rebuilding condo complex
October 16, 2017 06:23 AM
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. -- Nearly a year ago, nearly a dozen fires destroyed or damaged businesses all over the metro. The man responsible for confessed to them all last week.
One of those fires took out homes when a Nob Hill luxury condominium complex burned to the ground. However, The Carlisle is rising from the ashes.
Kenny Hinkes, the developer of The Carlisle, is grateful. Construction is going without a hitch and is moving fast.
"The first 2X4 arrived here the third week in July," he said.
Since then, it's taken about three months for Hinkes and his crew of hundreds to build the bulk of the luxury condominium again. It's a big comeback considering that the nearly complete condo was torched and destroyed just before Thanksgiving last year.
The arson fire was devastating for sure, but Hinkes rolled up his sleeves shortly after.
"We were committed from the day of the fire that we would do everything in our power to rebuild the building," he said.
In fact, Hinkes says a third of the condos are already under contract to close this fall. He hopes to attract more buyers as the Feb. 1 completion date nears.
"We'll have furnished models open by Thanksgiving and the community is welcome to come down and take a look at finished condominiums," he said.
Hinkes said he is proud of what his crew is accomplishing.
"As you move through the stairway at every level, you get a new view of the Nob Hill neighborhood," he said.
Even though the fire was devastating, Hinkes said it gave him a second chance.
"It is an unusual situation to get to build the Carlisle for a second time," he said.
He remains grateful and optimistic for the future.
"It's designed to last for generations, and The Carlisle is clearly as a survivor and we're just thrilled to be able to bring it back," he said.
Created: October 16, 2017 06:23 AM
Copyright 2017 KOB-TV LLC, a Hubbard Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved