Lobos expect Holbrook back
Posted at: 08/20/2012 9:20 AM
By: J.P. Murrieta, KOB Eyewitness Sports 4
University of New Mexico offensive coordinator Bob DeBesse said Monday morning on the radio that quarterback B.R. Holbrook would return to action. "We are operating under the assumption he will be back at some point," DeBesse told Jeff Siembieda on 610am The Sports Animal. DeBesse said a specific timetable for Holbrook's return was still unknown. However, "we don't think it's a long term situation," added DeBesse.
Holbrook missed most of the last week of training camp with the team after complaining of shortness of breath and tightness in his chest. Holbrook was later diagnosed with chest inflamation. He is currently taking inflamation medication to try and correct the problem.
Holbrook's health is evaluated every day. "As soon as he is symptom free and we can get clearance that he can go, he'll go," head coach Bob Davie told us. "Up until that time it's like B.R.'s not here. We're going to practice like we've practiced the last couple days with a tremendous sense of urgency."
Currently, true freshman Cole Gautsche is getting more reps with the number one offense than another other QB on the roster. Gautsche led Cleveland High School to an undefeated season last year, throwing for 3,085 yards with 39 touchdowns and just four interceptions. He also ran for 1,218 yards and 23 rushing touchdowns as a high school senior.
Junior college transfer Quinton McCown would be considered the #2 QB at this point. Walk on freshman Sam Gentry would be their third option.
The Lobos open the season September 1 at home against Southern.