Mother speaks on son's fatal heroin overdose
Posted at: 12/29/2012 10:18 PM
By: Adam Camp, KOB Eyewitness News 4
Jennifer Weiss lost her son, Cameron, to a heroin overdose on Aug. 13, 2011.
She got word this week that federal agents arrested a man in connection to his death. Drug Enforcement Administration agents said Joseph Dyson dealt heroin to her son, the very heroin that he overdosed on hours later. Dyson was charged with distribution of heroin resulting in death and distribution of a controlled substance to a person under 21.
Jennifer Weiss spoke Saturday about finding out the news.
"It's kinda bitter-sweet. Brings back a lot of memories of what happened that day that we found him," she said.
Dyson's had several drug dealing and possession convictions in the past. Cameron Weiss first admitted to his mother in 2010 that he was addicted to heroin. That is when Jennifer Weiss started the Heroin Awareness Committee, where she serves as president. After Cameron died last year, she pushed for more to be done within public schools and New Mexico legislation about heroin and narcotics perscriptions.
She said the more time passes since Cameron's death, the more pain she feels.
"The second year has been kind of rough. I've been just dealing with a lot of emotions and a lot of different feelings that come up. The holidays were kinda hard and we're just trying to get through it day by day," she said.
Although Weiss said she is happy Dyson is behind bars, she wants him to get help, too.
"I don't have any anger. I wouldn't say I have any anger toward him because I think he's probably an addict, himself. And he was probably supporting his own habit," she said.
But she wanted to ensure parents in Albuquerque that they need to keep a close eye on what their kids are doing.
"Parents need to be aware that it's happening to all the schools in all areas of town. And so they can't think they're segregated just by where they live or where their kids go to school," she said.