A look at the top trending things people are stealing
Posted at: 02/27/2013 6:05 PM
| Updated at: 02/27/2013 6:36 PM
By: Chris Ramirez, KOB Eyewitness News 4
NBC News found some bizarre items that police are seeing as trending hot items to steal.
9. Truck tailgates. Many people have reported the tailgate to their truck stolen only to find it being sold on Craigslist.
8. Cloth napkins. Some restaurant owners report their patrons steal their cloth napkins. One restaurant chain owner reported that he replaces thousands of cloth napkins across his locations each year.
7. Maple Syrup. As the cost of 100 percent pure maple syrup rises, more people are stealing the pricey product. In New Mexico 12 ounces of maple syrup will cost about $9.
6. Paving Stones. Anyone who has bought paving stones for a driveway or patio knows the pricey cost of bricks. Some neighborhoods in England have reported a mass theft of pavers leaving many in a neighborhood without a driveway.
5. Hay. Droughts have forced the cost of hay to skyrocket. Because of an increased number of hay thefts, farmers and ranchers have begun securing their piles of hay in barns of secure areas.
4. Gold teeth. As unusual as it sounds, police across the country have reported instances where funeral home workers have extracted teeth out of corpses and tried selling the gold at pawn shops or gold buyers.
3. Human hair. A beauty supply store in Chicago lost $230 worth of hair extensions. Police believe thieves resell the hair to other salons or on the street.
2. Chicken wings. With the rising cost of poultry in the U.S, grocery stores report a rise in shoplifting of chicken, particularly chicken wings.
1. Tide detergent. Police call it “liquid gold.” The high price of laundry detergent has many shoplifting the product then reselling it on the black market.