10 impressive stats about this year's UNM men's basketball team
Posted at: 03/19/2013 8:31 PM
| Updated at: 03/20/2013 9:26 AM
By: J.P. Murrieta, KOB Eyewitness Sports 4
Some national writers and broadcasters have UNM making a deep run in the NCAA Tournament this year. Some of these stats show why. Here are 10 impressive facts about this year's Lobo basketball team.
1. The Lobos were 4-1 against top 25 teams this year. They can play with some of the most competitive clubs in the country
2. The Lobos are 13-4 against teams that made it to the NCAA Tournament this season.
3. They haven't lost back-to-back games all year. While that's not relevant in a one-and-done tournament, it does show that this club is tough to beat. The only other teams in the country without back to back losses this year are Indiana, Gonzaga, Florida, Duke and Marquette.
4. Four of UNM's 5 losses were to teams in the field of 68.
5. The Lobos won 12 straight games during one stretch of the season.
6. All 5 starters were honored by the Mountain West in the All-Conference teams. This is a balanced bunch.
7. Kendall Williams has 6 games where he scored 20 or more points.
8. Alex Kirk has scored in double figures 26 times this year.
9. This team was down 16 points at home about 10 minutes into the start of this season and still rallied to win. I think this was a defining moment for this team.
10. This year's Lobo squad is 22nd in the country in FG percentage defense. This team can flat out make stops.
Here's what some national names are saying about this year's team.
“All New Mexico has done all season long is win. I say they will keep on winning all the way to Atlanta.”
-Seth Davis (Sports Illustrated/CBS Sports)
“There’s no reason New Mexico can’t make a deep NCAA tournament run.”
-Jason King (ESPN.com)
“This is a Lobos squad that has Final Four potential.”
“One of my teams playing in Atlanta in the Final Four is the Lobos from New Mexico.”
-Tim Brando (CBS Sports)
“New Mexico could have an upset ahead.”