Created: 10/11/2013 9:14 PM
By: Ryan Luby, KOB Eyewitness News 4
A 4-year-old boy who suffers from a severe peanut allergy ended up in a hospital after his teacher handed out snacks in her class earlier this week.
The boy’s mother, Tara Stallings, called 4 On Your Side and said the staff at Sandia Montessori School in northeast Albuquerque was aware of the boy’s allergy months ago and made a careless mistake.
“I'm upset because I send him to preschool thinking he's going to be well-taken care of, and to get a phone call like that -- it's upsetting,” she said.
Stallings said her son’s face swelled, making it difficult for him to speak.
“Just the ambulance ride, and all the doctors, he was really scared,” she said.
Directors of the school said they made an honest mistake.
“It is very, very serious and we take it very seriously, and we acted on it immediately,” director Deborah Lane said.
She said she called 911 once she found out how serious Carsyn’s allergy is.
Lane criticized Stallings, however, saying that she should have provided the school with an EpiPen prescribed to her son.
She said school staff could not have legally provided Carsyn with another student’s EpiPen.
“Oh no sir, we would be liable to do that. Never ever should we and could we do that. That's even with Tylenol, we're not even allowed to administrate Tylenol to another child without permission or their own Tylenol here on premises,” Lane said.
She said the school contacted Children, Youth and Family Services, or CYFD, on their own.
Tara Shillings said she removed her son from the school and will enroll him in another school next week.