Small fire causes evacuation of senior care facility

Updated: 10/19/2013 6:26 PM | Created: 10/19/2013 4:06 PM
By: Johnny Cordoba, KOB 4

Albuquerque fire crews responded at noon to an incident at the apartment building located on 5500 Wyoming NE.  Upon arrival firefighters saw smoke coming from the second floor.  The three story senior care facility was immediately evacuated.    

According to an AFD spokesperson, an electrical short in the air conditioning window unit of apartment 212 caused the fire.  One patient had to be treated at the scene for smoke inhalation, but was not taken to the hospital.  The window where the air conditioner unit was located suffered some damage, while the apartment itself sustained some damage due to the smoke.  

A few hours later, residents were allowed back into the building, while maintenance crews repaired the damages to the apartment. No other injuries or damages were reported.

Small fire causes evacuation at apartment building
Photo: Courtesy: Eric Holck

KOB welcomes a lively and courteous discussion as long as you follow the rules of conduct set forth in our Terms of Use. Comments are not pre-screened before they post. You agree that anything you post may be used, along with your name and profile picture, in accordance with our Privacy Policy and the license you have granted pursuant to our Terms of Use.


Join Our Email List