By The Associated Press
November 17, 2016 08:22 PM
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Friday:
1. DONALD TRUMP OFFERS FLYNN THE JOB OF NATIONAL SECURITY ADVISER
The move came as the president-elect made his most direct foray into foreign policy since the election, meeting with Japan's prime minister.
2. OBAMA PRODS TRUMP TO BE TOUGH WHEN RUSSIA VIOLATES GLOBAL NORMS
The Kremlin accused Obama of trying to lock in bad relations before Trump takes office.
3. ETHNIC KILLINGS STIR UN WARNINGS OF GENOCIDE IN SOUTH SUDAN TOWN
Residents describe children being hacked with machetes and women getting raped in Yei, once a haven of coexistence for South Sudan's ethnic groups.
4. IRAQI FORCES FACE GRUELING URBAN COMBAT IN MOSUL LIKELY LASTING WEEKS
One month into the operation to retake the city from the Islamic State group, Iraqi forces have gathered troops.
5. HOMELESSNESS DECLINES OVERALL IN THE UNITED STATES
But a lack of affordable housing and growing problems with opioid addiction are fueling the problem in many cities in the West.
5. WHERE WILDFIRES ARE CAUSING BREATHING PROBLEMS
Smoke from dozens of wildfires burning across the U.S. Southeast has people coughing and wheezing, even in places like Atlanta that are far from the flames.
6. WHAT THE ALLEGED KILLER OF 2 OFFICERS SAID TO POLICE BEFORE THE SHOOTING
Scott Michael Greene sent a note to an Iowa police departments apologizing for prior run-ins, saying his "dark days" were over and praising police as "absolute heroes."
7. WHICH AMERICANS HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT MONEY IN RETIREMENT
Most U.S. households are heading for a worse lifestyle in retirement then they had while they were working because they simply aren't saving enough, experts say.
8. WHY THE US GOVERNMENT IS RELEASING HAITIANS COMING FROM MEXICO
A U.S. government official told The Associated Press that the decision to free Haitians arriving in Arizona and California is in response to a lack of jail space.
9. AMERICAN JEWS GATHER TO GRAPPLE WITH ERUPTION OF ANTI-SEMITISM
At a national meeting of the Anti-Defamation League, about 1,000 people listened to talks expressing shock at the hatred expressed during the presidential campaign.
10. WHO WON BASEBALL'S MVP AWARDS
Los Angeles Angels outfielder Mike Trout has been voted AL MVP, and Chicago Cubs slugger Kris Bryant is the NL winner
By The Associated Press
Updated: November 17, 2016 08:22 PM
Copyright 2016 KOB-TV LLC, a Hubbard Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved