August 01, 2016 08:22 AM
Just the Facts: Tessa Mentus
• Position: Anchor
• Year Hired at KOB Eyewitness News 4: 2014
• First TV Appearance: at KOB- March 31, 2014… first ever was when I was a child model appearing on a Pittsburgh based talk show
• Other TV jobs/markets/stations: WTAJ TV in Altoona, Pennsylvania- weekend anchor/producer/ and weekday general assignment reporter; WTVY TV in Dothan, Alabama- weekday evening anchor
• Favorite News Story: It was in Alabama. FBI agents rescued a special needs child who had been held hostage for a week by a man who took him off a school bus. This was after the man shot and killed the boy’s school bus driver. I was out at the scene for six days, and it was a blessing this little boy made it out alive.
• Most Memorable Interview: A mother who found out right before our interview that her 2-year-old child had been found safe after he wandered off from a babysitter’s house and was missing for an entire day.
• First Reporting Story: A community in Pennsylvania was outraged when police shot and killed a bear that had climbed in a tree.
• Role Model/Most Admired: Personally, my dad. He is the true definition of the “American dream.” Every day he shows me that hard work is a necessity, not a recommendation, if you want to be successful and respected. I am so thankful that he and my mom instilled those values while I was growing up. I can only hope to do the same for my children someday. There are many people who I admire professionally. My many professors at Syracuse University who spent unlimited amounts of time teaching me to never settle for mediocrity. My favorite news anchor would be Robin Meade. I love how she is so natural and confident behind the desk.
• Why I'm A Journalist: I love telling stories. Stories that affect people, make them think, answer questions. Secondly, I love conveying those stories in a way that is direct, simple and clear. If I don’t know something, I’m not going to act like I do, but I can promise that I will try to get the answers. People are intelligent; they deserve to trust the newscasters they effectively invite into their homes every day. I want to earn that trust with hard work and respect for the people I’m reporting on as well as for those watching.
• Most proud of: My husband. His ability to handle any obstacle and change in life has been encouraging, refreshing, and admirable.
• Favorite thing about New Mexico: The culture and the people… and the awesome view it provides from our balcony.
• Hidden Talent: Event planning
• Dream Interview: Oprah. Love or hate her, the woman came from nothing and became a global, household name.
• Dream Job: Being a news anchor at a station that is credible, hardworking, and ethical. Looks like I’ve accomplished that goal.
• Favorite TV Show: I can quote lines from the Golden Girls like it’s my job. I thank my grandmother for that talent. My current favorite TV show would be the Blacklist!
• Favorite good causes: By far animal shelters/animal rights groups. My husband and I have rescued three dogs during our marriage. It might sound cliché, but animals need a defending voice.
• Alma Mater: Syracuse University
• Hometown: Fairmont, West Virginia
• Height: 5’4”
• Star Sign: Pisces
• Kids: Not yet
• Pets: 1 “furbaby,” our American Bulldog, Apollo.
• Favorite animal(s): By far… DOGS!
• Spouse/S/O: Brandon
• Siblings: Two younger sisters, Brea and Jenna.
• Hobbies: Reading, walking Apollo, watching football and basketball, traveling, spending time with my family… including my adorable five nephews and one niece.
• Favorite Food: Anything Italian, but I’m quickly embracing green chile.
• Favorite Sports Team: I grew up a Pittsburgh Steelers fan; however I have quickly added the Green Bay Packers to my favorites list since my brother-in-law is an offensive lineman for the team.
• Favorite Musician: Rascal Flatts
• Favorite Author: Anyone who can write a great crime-mystery… whether real or fiction. • Favorite Movie star: Sandra Bullock and Matthew McConaughey
• Favorite Destination: Aruba and anywhere where I can see family.
• Favorite Song: Country Roads by John Denver
• Favorite quote: As long as you have family, you will forever love someone and someone will forever love you.
• Favorite color: Purple
• Favorite movie(s): My Cousin Vinny
• Favorite book(s): Lone Survivor
• One thing my co-workers don’t know about me is…: Now what fun would it be if I gave it away?
• Red or Green? Green is my first love but red could be a big contender
Updated: August 01, 2016 08:22 AM
Created: April 02, 2014 09:33 AM
Copyright 2016 KOB-TV LLC, a Hubbard Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved