Updated: 04/16/2014 2:56 PM | Created: 04/16/2014 1:52 PM
Just the Facts: Caleb James
• Position: Reporter
• Year Hired at KOB Eyewitness News 4: 2013
• First TV Appearance: In 5th grade I had a short-lived public access TV show on, I want to say, Sunday afternoons. I sat at a table in front of a green screen and took calls from a lot of day drinkers. It was all a little too real for an 11-year-old.
• Other TV jobs/markets/stations: My first real life paying job was at my hometown newspaper, the Boulder Daily Camera when I was 17. The editor finally got tired of me calling and asking if I could write stories for free and decided she’d shut me up by giving me a paycheck. I had the wonderful opportunity to work there until I was 21. My first TV job was at the ABC affiliate in Idaho Falls, Idaho! Yes, potatoes.
• Most Memorable Interview: During New Mexico’s September 2013 floods, a KOB crew and I got to spend a week in Carlsbad. We spent a lot of time at a Red Cross shelter where the entire village of Lakewood was taking refuge. See, Lakewood is a retirement RV park that had been evacuated when it was surrounded by flood waters. We met the dearest ladies who were so happy to tell us about their exciting helicopter evacuation and the handsome National Guardsmen who’d helped them onto boats. They didn’t once complain, and I never saw smiles leave their faces. We found ourselves wandering back to the shelter just so we could talk to them some more.
• Role Model/Most Admired: Stuart Dyson
• Why I'm A Journalist: The world can be a dark place. But the thing people forget about darkness is how weak and pathetic it really is. The tiniest bit of light can slice through even the deepest dark, and that’s what I think journalism does. Being journalists allows us to hand off the mic to folks who have been weakened by the darkness around them, and give them the opportunity to get a little power back. Having the opportunity to help someone shed some light on their own story --that’s priceless.
• Most proud of: House training my dogs.
• Favorite thing about New Mexico: All of its magic :-)
• Favorite good causes: The Trevor Project
• Hometown: Boulder, Colorado
• Star Sign: Cancer
• Kids: Did my mom write this? I’ll get around to it, geez!
• Pets: Two dogs -- Wilma and Buddy, my best buds.
• Hobbies: Is eating a hobby? Oh, next question.
• Favorite Food: I don’t like to discriminate against any food, except for pork. Just not a fan. Most of my co-workers will tell you I’m a vegetarian. Don’t listen! I’m a big fan of veggies, but that doesn’t mean I don’t love a big fat burger sometimes.
• Favorite Sports Team: If they play in Denver, they’re my team! Go Ponies, Nuggies, Avs, and Rockies!
• Favorite Musician: It’s a tie between Bobby D. and Johnny Cash.
• Favorite Author: Truman Capote
• Favorite Movie star: Tilda Swinton
• Favorite Destination: Home, wherever it may be.
• Favorite quote: “Honesty and transparency make you vulnerable. Be honest and transparent anyway.” - Mother Theresa
• Favorite color: Blue
• One thing my co-workers don’t know about me is: I cannot think of one humiliating detail about myself I have not already shared with my co-workers.