Created: 05/18/2014 10:48 PM
By: Caleb James, KOB Eyewitness News 4
Vince Martinez is a father on a mission.
Last week, Martinez and hundreds of other moms and dads found out Bernalillo County will no longer oversee after-school programs for kids at 10 APS elementary schools.
The county says it doesn't want to run the program directly, but will bring in third-party providers to do it.
Phil Garcia has his job as an instructor and site supervisor with the program for the next three days. He's one of about 65 people who may be looking for work after the county stops running its programs.
He's spent nine years watching at-risk youth turn into college grads. Garcia says turning the world upside down on kids and parents is irresponsible.
Now Garcia, and parents like Martinez say they won't let that work go to waste.
Martinez says that's the South Valley way. When something's wrong -- step up.
On Sunday, only a handful of people showed up to an impromptu meeting at Rio Bravo Park, but that's okay with Martinez and Garcia, because Tuesday is the county commission meeting.
A non-profit that manages county funding for after-school programs told KOB Eyewitness News 4 the county won't run the after-school programs directly any more because it isn't the most effective use of money. A spokesman says third-party programs will cost parents the same, but that's not the most important thing for the parents KOB spoke to.
The county commission meeting is at Albuquerque City Hall -- council chambers on Tuesday at 5 p.m.