Advertisement

Firefighters extinguish gas line fire near Old Town

Updated: 06/25/2014 2:52 PM | Created: 06/25/2014 1:01 PM
By: Elizabeth Reed, KOB.com

Albuquerque firefighters quickly extinguished a gas line fire on Central Avenue near Old Town on Wednesday afternoon.

The fire was reported just after 12:30 p.m. by New Mexico Gas. The company said crews were conducting regular maintenance on a line across from Manzano Day School, located at 1700 Central NW, when gas suddenly ignited from a ruptured control valve.

The two workers jumped out of the hole and fled to a safe area. They were not injured.

Firefighters responding to the scene said the blowing gas produced 10-feet tall flames from the hole. Fire crews evacuated a nearby business and city bus that was stuck in traffic near the scene.

AFD said firefighters then put out the fire. The line was shut off and will be repaired by New Mexico Gas.

All lanes on Central Avenue reopened between San Pasquale to Laguna just before 2 p.m.


KOB welcomes a lively and courteous discussion as long as you follow the rules of conduct set forth in our Terms of Use. Comments are not pre-screened before they post. You agree that anything you post may be used, along with your name and profile picture, in accordance with our Privacy Policy and the license you have granted pursuant to our Terms of Use.

Advertisement



Join Our Email List

Advertisement