Advertisement

Mother of Berrendo Middle School shooting victim speaks on new threat

Created: 08/30/2014 10:25 PM
By: Lauren Hansard, KOB Eyewitness News 4

Berrendo Middle School in Roswell has been hit with yet another threat. This time it's against a student still recovering from injuries after he was shot inside the school gym back in January.

Police say a brand new student at Berrendo Middle School wrote a message on a bathroom wall threatening Nathaniel Tavarez.

It's been almost eight months since Nathaniel was shot in the gym at Berrendo Middle School and for the first time since the shooting, he's back at school.

"Well, Nathaniel is very brave," said Nathaniel's mother Donna Tavarez. "I really didn't expect for him to want to go back to school."

Donna Tavarez says Nathaniel is doing well, still regaining his eyesight after shotgun pellets sprayed into his eyes.

"He's doing much better, there are still some bumps in the road, but once we go back to Dallas we'll know a little bit more," said Tavarez.

But on Thursday, she got another shock from deputies.

"We were just really concerned and pretty upset about the whole ordeal," said Tavarez.

Lt. Mike Herrington says deputies were called to the school Thursday about what a student found written on the bathroom wall.

"Says I will finish off Nathaniel on 9-2-14,"said Herrington.

Herrington says an 8th grader confessed to writing the message because he was mad. He says the student had gotten into a fight with another classmate before writing the threat.

"When he was released from the classroom to go see the nurse he just went in there in the bathroom, wrote it down real fast, and then went straight to the nurse," said Herrington. "He said he didn't mean anything by it, but he was angry."

The 8th grader, who was brand new to the school, was arrested for disrupting the educational process.

"I truly believe and I think it's really sad that there's someone coming in from another school just trying to seek attention," said Tavarez. "I don't think this child meant any harm whatsoever."

Tavarez says Nathaniel will continue going to Berrendo Middle School despite the threat.

"Nathaniel is a very positive young man and he's not going to let no one or anyone get in his way or bring him down," said Tavarez. "Even after this incident he's still very positive."

Superintendent Tom Burris says the student is suspended and won't be at school next week.

Burris says he never notified Berrendo parents because he says the situation had been handled.
 


KOB welcomes a lively and courteous discussion as long as you follow the rules of conduct set forth in our Terms of Use. Comments are not pre-screened before they post. You agree that anything you post may be used, along with your name and profile picture, in accordance with our Privacy Policy and the license you have granted pursuant to our Terms of Use.

Advertisement



Join Our Email List

Advertisement