Two-year-old hospitalized after ingesting cocaine
Posted at: 10/19/2012 6:10 PM
| Updated at: 10/19/2012 6:19 PM
By: Jill Galus, KOB Eyewitess News
A 2-year-old boy and his 6-year-old brother were admitted to Christus St. Vincent Hospital in Santa Fe around 7 p.m. Thursday, where the 2-year-old tested positive for cocaine.
According to Santa Fe Police, the two children were in the care of their grandparents at their home off west San Francisco St. when police received a call from the grandmother that the 2-year-old had ingested cocaine.
"The child had in fact taken the paper bindle, consumed the powdery substance inside of the bindle, and then went forward and told the grandmother that in fact he had tasted something and it didn't feel right," said Cpt. Aric Wheeler of the Santa Fe Police Department.
As of Friday afternoon, it was unclear as to how the toddler got his hands on the cocaine or who it belonged to.
"We can't prove that at this point that they in fact knew that it was there, but obviously, like I said earlier, the grandmother knew this white bindle was in fact consistent with the packaging of the white powdery substance of cocaine," Wheeler said.
The 6-year-old was unharmed but was taken to the hospital as a precautionary measure.
Along with Children Youth and Families, police are investigating this as a child endangerment case with possible charges of abuse or neglect.
"I think it shows a huge lack of responsibility on behalf of the actual grandparents, that they're not taking precautionary measures to ensure the safety of those children," Wheeler said.