Unsafe house still waiting to be demolished
Posted at: 02/13/2013 5:23 PM
| Updated at: 02/13/2013 5:24 PM
By: Adam Camp, KOB Eyewitness News 4
A home that neighbors said is a danger to the community is still standing as of Wednesday night.
The Albuquerque Safe City Strike Force got authorization from the owner last week to demolish the home, but the owner said he needed more time Wednesday.
“He's still grieving and there's a lot of grief going on. We're trying to facilitate him an opportunity to get any personal affects,” Joe Martinez of the Strike Force said.
Martinez is referring to Marty Adams’s mother, Juanita, who died in a house fire in January. Neighbors said the home has been a problem for several years, including crime and now three fires in two months.
“I've logged at least 12 incidents where I've had to call 242-COPS to get them out here,” Enchanted Park Neighborhood Association Bob Trudo said.
The fire that took Juanita Adams happened January 5. There was another fire nearly one month to the date last week.
Heir to the home Marty Adams said the city is coming after him, but he would not go on camera about the issue. The city said Adams signed an agreement Thursday to have the home demolished, and Martinez said Adams had an attorney look over the document, too.
“He signed it. He had somebody else retype it. He brought it back and certified it to me. And I gave him an additional five days,” Martinez said.
Adams now has until Thursday at 2 p.m. to get whatever valuables are in his home before the city destroys the house.