Agriculture Secretary: Horse slaughter plant should open

Posted at: 04/30/2013 10:56 AM | Updated at: 04/30/2013 5:12 PM
By: Jeri Clausing, The Associated Press

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) - Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack says the southern New Mexico plant that has been fighting for more than a year for permission to slaughter horses will open soon, unless Congress reinstates a ban on the practice.

In a telephone interview Tuesday, Vilsack said the department is working to make sure the process for opening what would be the first domestic horse slaughter house in six years is done properly.

Valley Meat Co. sued the Department of Agriculture last year, claiming that inaction on its application was driven by emotional political debates and that the delays had cost it hundreds of thousands of dollars.

The USDA re-inspected the plant last week.

The Obama Administration opposes horse slaughter, but Vilsack says it is duty bound to open the plant barring action from Congress.

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Print  

Paid Advertisement:




Paid Advertisement:
Know More? Got Photo? Got Video? Correction Needed?

KOB welcomes a lively and courteous discussion as long as you follow the rules of conduct set forth in our Terms of Use. Comments are not pre-screened before they post. You agree that anything you post may be used, along with your name and profile picture, in accordance with our Privacy Policy and the license you have granted pursuant to our Terms of Use.

Advertisement | Your Ad Here

Advertisement | Your Ad Here

Home
Set Home
SMS Text Alerts
Text Alerts
Email
Email News
RSS
RSS
Android App
Android App
iPhone - iPad App
iOS App

Advertisement | Your Ad Here


Site Index