Outrage over suspected squatter's release
Posted at: 05/02/2013 10:06 AM
| Updated at: 05/02/2013 10:14 AM
By: The Associated Press
Photo: Moses Gold
SANTA FE, N.M. (AP) - A Santa Fe homeowner says he's outraged that a magistrate has dismissed charges against a man police say admitted to squatting.
Miguel Rodriguez tells the Santa Fe New Mexican the judge had "no regard for the victim."
The judge on Wednesday dismissed the case, saying he found a "lack of probable cause" for the burglary, breaking and entering, criminal damage and larceny charges. But the counts can be refiled and police say they plan to do so.
Rodriguez says 44-year-old Moses Gold caused nearly $1,000 in damage to his home after breaking in twice last week.
Gold was arrested Tuesday after he was found in an SUV on the property. An arrest statement says Gold told police he was going through "hard times." He also told police he would pay for the damage.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)