Mayoral candidate Dinelli responds to controversial video
Posted at: 08/24/2013 9:49 PM
| Updated at: 08/24/2013 10:11 PM
By: Erica Zucco, KOB Eyewitness News 4
This week, a controversial video was released showing several members of the Safe City Strike Force behaving inappropriately during the time mayoral candidate Pete Dinelli oversaw the department.
Dinelli told KOB Eyewitness News 4 he did not know it was being produced, but as soon as he found out, he pushed for the members to be fired.
Instead, they were given suspensions as an Internal Affairs investigation was conducted.
Dinelli said more about the incident in an interview for Eye on New Mexico.
“We closed crack houses, meth labs, nuisance properties,” Dinelli said. “Albuquerque is a safer place because of the Safe City Strike Force. But it’s because I'm running for mayor of Albuquerque that the current mayor decides to release this video to try to divert attention.”
When KOB Eyewitness News 4 talked to current Mayor Richard Berry about the video earlier this week, he did not say if his camp released the video – just that it showed poor oversight by Dinelli.
KOB Eyewitness News 4 wanted to know how involved with the force Dinelli really was.
KOB obtained emails between Dinelli and then APD Chief Ray Schultz.
In the email, Dinelli tells Schultz to keep him in the know about all strike force business so he can quote “keep them from getting sued” and “avoid civil rights liability.”
KOB also got hold of meeting minutes for several years while Dinelli was in charge. At nearly every meeting, Dinelli is present or his name is mentioned – often to remind the team to keep him in the loop.
Dinelli had more to say about the video and, more so, about what he plans to do if he becomes mayor.
That will air on Eye on New Mexico Sunday at 10 a.m.