Updated: 11/26/2013 6:33 PM |
Created: 11/26/2013 8:40 AM
By: Kim Tobin, KOB Eyewitness News 4
An arrest was made Tuesday morning in connection with the death of a teen girl who died of a drug overdose this summer.
Hannah Bruch, 14, died in August after a foam party at Expo New Mexico. Toxicology reports by the New Mexico Office of the Medical Investigator show she had a large amount of MDMA, a pure form of Ecstasy also known as "Molly," in her system.
Eric Stone, 26, was led away in handcuffs. Police say he was the one who sold her the drug.
"I hope it brings closure to Hannah's family and friends," New Mexico State Police Chief Pete Kassetas said. "It's an unfortunate incident. No matter how many arrests we make, we cannot bring her back."
Police found the drug source because two of Hannah's friends cooperated with the investigation. They admit they also bought and took the drug. The trail led to the alleged distributor, Eric Stone.
Police interviewed Stone last month and he admitted to selling the drug to three girls last summer. One of them was named Hannah.
"It's a tragic ending to a young person's life," Kassetas said. "However, the message I have as chief of the state police, is that there are consequences for dealing narcotics. Ultimately, law enforcement will catch up with you."
It's not Stone's first offense. He's faced prior charges for drug possession and driving under the influence. He faces three counts of distributing to a minor. His bond is set at $100,000 dollars.
Gov. Susana Martinez spoke out after the incident. She sent a message to the KOB Eyewitness News Four newsroom:
"Shortly after Hannah Bruch's death in August, I spoke to her father and made a commitment that we would use every resource available to find out why this happened to his beautiful daughter. This morning I called Mr. Bruch and told him that state police arrested the man who sold these dangerous drugs to his daughter that night. Drugs like Ecstasy and the so-called "Molly" are so dangerous for New Mexico teens, and it's up to everybody in our community to work together to make sure kids understand the very real risks of using these types of drugs. Chuck and I continue to extend our prayers to Hannah's family for their loss."