Updated: 02/13/2014 1:24 PM |
Created: 02/13/2014 1:10 PM
By: Elizabeth Reed, KOB.com
Rio Rancho fire officials say a cigarette sparked a fire that destroyed an apartment on Wednesday night.
The incident took place at the Vista Grande Apartments near Southern and Rio Rancho Boulevard.
According to the fire department, a woman called 911 to report her mattress caught fire. She tried to stop the fire from spreading, but was forced to evacuate.
When they arrived at the scene, fire crews reported heavy smoke coming from the unit
Investigators said the damage was contained to the unit and no one was injured.