Advertisement

Mayor Berry: DOJ looking into shootings, Anonymous threat ‘serious’

Updated: 03/27/2014 10:16 PM | Created: 03/27/2014 6:14 PM
By: Caleb James, KOB Eyewitness News 4

Albuquerque Mayor Richard Berry reacted Thursday to APD's recent deadly officer involved shootings and the serious cyber threat from international hacker group Anonymous.

KOB Eyewitness News 4 pressed the mayor for answers about how slowly information has been released to New Mexicans after the shootings of homeless camper James Boyd on March 16 and Alfred Redwine on Monday.

Berry has previously called APD's shooting of Boyd "horrific."

On Thursday he took a decidedly less candid approach.

"I stand behind those men and women," said Berry.

But he did not downplay the recent shootings.

"Those are tough things for all of us to watch," he said.

Lapel camera video from Monday's fatal shooting of Alfred Redwine is indeed difficult to watch.

APD said Redwine fired a gun before he was shot, but stopped short of showing that moment to New Mexicans.

"We were shown a photo of the gun, we were shown aftermath, we were not shown the actual incident," said KOB reporter Caleb James. "That's important for us to see, and for our viewers to see."

Berry responded: "One of the things that we have to do also because we're on the national forefront for transparency with these lapel camera videos, we are always working with the department to develop additional protocol."

Berry said no uniform protocol to govern the release of lapel camera video contributes to its slow release after incidents like Monday's shooting.

Footage of the March 16th shooting of James Boyd in the Albuquerque foothills was also slow to be released, and has made worldwide rounds.

"On the foothills incident we personally went and I directed my staff to talk to the department of justice about that case," said Berry.

It's the March 16th shooting gathering unwanted attention from hacking group Anonymous.

The group threatened to attack APD's website this Sunday, and their video battle-cry has more than 20,000 views online.

"It's a serious threat," said Berry.

Serious enough Berry said it may be impossible to defend against.

"I've been told as a mayor that there's certain things you just can't stop," said Berry. "We're bracing for that."

Berry said the discussion about protecting against that attack is on going, and so is the department's discussion about new protocol for the release of lapel video.


KOB welcomes a lively and courteous discussion as long as you follow the rules of conduct set forth in our Terms of Use. Comments are not pre-screened before they post. You agree that anything you post may be used, along with your name and profile picture, in accordance with our Privacy Policy and the license you have granted pursuant to our Terms of Use.

Advertisement



Join Our Email List

Advertisement