Created: 07/02/2014 4:30 PM
By: Kristen Garcia, KOB.com
Officials said Wednesday morning the lightning-sparked Diego Fire has burned more than five square miles, an increase of about 400 acres since Tuesday.
Evacuations are highly recommended for Weatherall Esates, Jarosa inholdings, and Dunlap and West Dunlap subdivisions. Currently residents affected by the Diego Fire are being asked to evacuate to the Abiquiu Rural Events Center, located at Highway 84 and State Road 554. Livestock can be taken to the Rio Arriba fairgrounds in Abiquiu.
It’s important to be prepared for wildfires during the drought and dry conditions. Wildfires can spread quickly and every second counts. Below are some important tips to help you and your family prepare for wildfires and the possibility of evacuations.
Prepare for Wildfires – Defensible Space:
· Remove trees at least 10 feet from your house
· Clear dead branches, brush and debris at least 100 feet from all buildings
· Keep areas under utility lines clear
· Have an evacuation plan for your house and your neighborhood
· Plan a meeting place in case your family is separated
· Don't forget a plan for your pets
· Make a disaster kit
For More Information and a list of supplies visit: http://www.redcross.org/prepare/disaster/wildfire
Anyone with questions about the Diego Fire conditions can call 505-438-5320.