Advertisement

Teens plead not guilty to killing homeless men

Updated: 08/15/2014 3:34 PM | Created: 08/15/2014 9:33 AM
By: Elizabeth Reed, KOB.com

ALBUQUERQUE -- The three teenagers accused of beating two homeless men to death in a vacant Albuquerque lot pleaded not guilty at their arraignments on Friday.

Alex Rios, 18, Nathaniel Carillo, 16 and Gilbert Tafoya, 15, were arrested and charged with murder and conspiracy shortly after police discovered the bodies of Allison Gorman and Kee Thompson on July 19. Albuquerque police said the teens attacked the men while they slept in a lot near 60th and Central and beat them "beyond recognition."

According to court documents, all three teens confessed to killing the men and allegedly admitted that they had been attacking homeless people for a year.

The teens were indicted by a Bernalillo County grand jury on several charges last week, including first degree murder, attempted murder, aggravated battery, armed robbery and conspiracy.

The District Attorney's office said that Carrillo and Tafoya are being charged as Serious Youthful Offenders, which means their cases will proceed through District Court as though they are adults.

On Friday, a district court judge set each of their bonds at $1 million cash only.

If convicted, all three could face up to life in prison.


KOB welcomes a lively and courteous discussion as long as you follow the rules of conduct set forth in our Terms of Use. Comments are not pre-screened before they post. You agree that anything you post may be used, along with your name and profile picture, in accordance with our Privacy Policy and the license you have granted pursuant to our Terms of Use.

Join Our Email List



Advertisement

Advertisement