Eat this, not that. Holiday nutrition advice and recipes
KOB Web Staff
December 13, 2017 01:13 PM
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. - New Mexico Sports and Wellness Regional Nutrition Director and dietitian Rachael Mallory stopped by KOB studios to give some tips on what to choose when eating at all of those holiday parties this season.
Here are some recipes she recommends:
Green Chili Spinach Artichoke Dip
- 14 oz Artichoke Hearts, rinsed well & drained
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 4oz green chili
- 10 oz frozen spinach
- 2 Tbl EVOO
- 8 oz greek yogurt cream cheese
- 16 oz greek yogurt, non-fat plain
- 1 ½ cups parmesan cheese
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- In a medium pot sauté olive oil, onion, and garlic, until the onions are transluscent
- To the same pot add the cream cheese, greek yogurt, and parmesan cheese until fully melted and bubbling.
- Stir in coarsely chopped artichoke hearts, green chili, and drained spinach. Allow the mixture to heat for a few minutes and it is finished.
- Serve immediately or add to a crockpot and hold on low for serving. Serve with tortilla chips or baguette slices.
Crockpot Sweet & Sour Meatballs
Ingredients For the Meatballs
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tbl lite soy sauce
- 1/3 cup reduced sugar ketchup
- 1/4 cup white onion, minced
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp pepper
Ingredients For the Sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup stevia brown sugar
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbl Worcestershire sauce
- 1/3 cup low sugar ketchup
- 1/2 cup low sugar jam (grape, cherry,)
- 1 Tbl lemon juice
- In a medium sized bowl combine meatball ingredients. Form into 1 inch meatballs and place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake 30 minutes at 350 degrees or until the meatballs are dark brown in color.
- Meanwhile to prepare the sauce, combine the water, brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, and jam in a small sauce pan over medium high heat. Bring to a boil. Mix the cornstarch with 3 tablespoons of water and whisk into the sauce mixture. Reduce heat and simmer until the sauce has thickened, about 5 mintues.
- Toss the meatballs in the sauce and serve immediately or transfer the sauce and meatballs into a slow cooker on low to keep warm for serving.
- Allow your guests to serve themselves directly from the crockpot with toothpicks, or serve on individual toothpicks and garnish with green onions and sesame seeds.
- Prepare the sauce as you had just made the meatballs. Add the frozen meatballs to the crockpot with the sauce and cook on low 4-6 hours until fork tender.
Bruschetta Cheese Ball
- 1-5.2oz Boursin Garlic & Fine Herbs Cheese
- 8 oz brick Greek Yogurt Cream Cheese
- 1/4 cup lite sour cream
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup sundried tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup basil leaves
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbl balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- Allow cream cheese to soften to room temperature.
- Combine all ingredients until thoroughly and form into a ball.
- Serve with toasted baguette slices or wheat crackers
Bacon Ranch Cheese Ball
- 12 oz Greek yogurt cream cheese
- 8 oz shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 package ranch seasoning
- 1 lb cooked bacon, chopped
- 1 Tbl parsley
- Allow cream cheese to soften at room temperature.
- Combine cream cheese, ranch seasoning, and cheddar cheese in a medium sized mixing bowl.
- In a small bowl combine the bacon and parsley
- Use a melon baller to scoop cheese mixture. Roll with your hands to make smooth ball.
- Roll the ball in the bacon and parsley mixture. Set aside.
- Repeat until all of the cheese balls are made. Place a pretzel stick in the middle of each ball to serve.
- 1/2 pound corned beef, thinly sliced
- 1 can sauerkraut
- 8oz greek yogurt cream cheese
- 1 cup lite sour cream
- 1 cup swiss cheese
- Thousand Island Dressing- Waldron’s
- Combine all ingredients, except 1000 island, into the crockpot and cook on low for 4 hours.
- Serve drizzled with 1000 island dressing and rye bread slices or wheat crackers.
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1 can black-eyed peas, drained
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 can sweet corn, drained
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 pound roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup stevia
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- Combine all ingredients and serve with your favorite tortilla chip or cracker
KOB Web Staff
Updated: December 13, 2017 01:13 PM
Created: December 13, 2017 12:42 PM
Copyright 2017 KOB-TV LLC, a Hubbard Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved