State soccer conflict has officials looking at solutions
February 15, 2018 07:33 AM
The New Mexico Activities Association has a scheduling conflict on the calendar. The State Soccer Championships are scheduled for a traditional Thursday, Friday and Saturday weekend. However, the Bernalillo Soccer Complex has a large youth tournament starting that Saturday preventing the NMAA from using the fields on that Saturday.
Here are some of the solutions being discussed.
- They could move the Saturday championship games to another location such as St. Pius X or UNM. However, if it rains, they don’t know how one field would hold up for 6 championship games. The Albuquerque Isotopes have offered use of Isotopes Park. However, a small portion of the soccer field would be in the infield dirt. They also considered moving the championship games to a field that could accommodate like Cleveland High School or Community Stadium, but most coaches would not like playing two days on grass and then moving to a turf field for the title game.
- They could move the tournament up a day to a Wednesday, Thursday and Friday schedule with the championship games being held on that Friday. Moving the tournament, though, would also add one more day of missed school and prevent some parents from taking time off work to watch the championships matches.
- They could also move the entire tournament to Las Cruces. The Field of Dreams Complex has good fields and enough space to accommodate. But moving to Las Cruces might cut down on attendance. A recent study showed that 90 percent of the semifinal/final participants in recent years have been from the central and northern part of New Mexico.
- They could also move the tournament back to the APS soccer complex, but most coaches wanted it moved away from that location because of the size of the fields and they preferred playing on grass rather than turf. This seems like the least likely preferred solution.
The NMAA has not yet polled the coaches to see which option they would prefer, but most of the Board of Directors think moving the tournament to a Wednesday, Thursday, Friday event would be the best possible solution. This topic was a discussion and information item at Wednesday's Board meeting. Nothing has been finalized.
Updated: February 15, 2018 07:33 AM
Created: February 14, 2018 01:47 PM
Copyright 2018 KOB-TV LLC, a Hubbard Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved