Police officers union endorses Tim Keller for mayor
September 21, 2017 06:58 PM
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. -- One Albuquerque mayoral candidates picked up a big endorsement when it comes to the crime problem in the city. The Albuquerque Police Officers Association announced Thursday it endorses Tim Keller in the race.
Union reps made it clear that crime in the community is out of control and they need a candidate committed to change. They say they spent months talking to and evaluating all eight contenders, and they're confident Keller is the person to lead the department in the right direction.
APOA President Shaun Willoughby said Keller understands the issues plaguing the department and has given very specific plans on how he will turn the city around, making it a safer place.
"This city is at war with a criminal element and we are losing. It's going to take strong leadership to pull us out of this battle," he said.
In a released statement, the APOA outlined why they feel Keller is the best person for the job:
- "Increase officer pay and compensation, which would make the department more competitive with departments around the region and would provide incentive for officers to stay with APD;"
- "Implement an aggressive officer recruitment push to increase the number of officers serving the City of Albuquerque;"
- "Change leadership at APD and depoliticize the department;"
- "Work with both police officers and the Department of Justice to develop a common-sense approach to reforming the settlement decree, allowing police officers to again focus on crime;"
- "Implement comprehensive anti-crime initiatives that make the most of what APD already has in place and brings new innovative thoughtful approaches that the APOA believes will make Albuquerque a safer city. "
Albuquerque's firefighters also endorsed Keller.
Election Day is Oct. 3, and early voting is already underway.
"We are going to make sure we're enabling our officers to everything they can on the front line," Keller said.
The campaign released this statement on the APOA endorsement:
From day one this campaign has been about bringing folks together around a shared vision for a better Albuquerque. Today we are grateful and honored to include Albuquerque Police Officers along with our first responders, firefighters, West Side Chamber, city workers, and thousands of folks from all walks of life and political philosophies, Republicans and Democrats, around a set of real ideas and a leader with the experience to move Albuquerque forward together.
Updated: September 21, 2017 06:58 PM
Created: September 21, 2017 05:44 PM
Copyright 2017 KOB-TV LLC, a Hubbard Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved