1 suspect in tragic Española shooting to stay behind bars until trial | KOB 4
Advertisement

1 suspect in tragic Española shooting to stay behind bars until trial

Ryan Laughlin
October 12, 2018 06:23 PM

SANTA FE, N.M. – One of the suspects accused of mistakenly targeting and shooting a recent high school graduate in northern New Mexico last week will remain behind bars until trial. 

Advertisement

19-year-old Anton Martinez was emotional in court Friday as Judge Jason Lidyard ruled he presented a danger to his community. Martinez is one of the young men accused of opening fire on a car just north of Española last week, killing Cameron Martinez and sending three others to the hospital.

Evidence and testimony from a New Mexico State Police officer put Anton Martinez at the scene of the crime before Lidyard's ruling was handed down. Authorities' interview with Mark Hice, the suspect who allegedly supplied the guns and ultimately gave the order to shoot at the car occupied by Cameron Martinez, also played a big role in keeping Anton Martinez behind bars. 

However, Anton Martinez's mother said she doesn't believe her son was involved. 

"Everything that's being said about him, it's just not the kind of person that he is," Melissa Flores said, adding this isn't the first time gun violence has impacted her family. "I lost my brother to a gunshot; he was shot 10 times across the chest. I understand the mother's feelings. From a mother to mother, I understand what it's like to lose someone. I just believe there's a problem with guns and they shouldn't be placed in the hands of young children."

Cameron Martinez's family said they were pleased with the outcome.

"I think he was firm in believing all the evidence that was put to him, and it was like a no-brainer," said Urban Martinez, Cameron's father. "That's one step for us. We are proud of the judge; he is keeping our community and our state safe."

Hice and Brittany Garcia, also connected to the shooting, joined Anton Martinez at the hearing, which was attended by some survivors of the shooting. Their attorneys, however, asked for more time to prepare a defense for their pretrial detention hearing.

Credits

Ryan Laughlin

Copyright 2018 KOB-TV LLC, a Hubbard Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved

Advertisement
Comment on Facebook

Share 4 - News Tips - Photos - Videos
  Share a News Tip, Story Idea, Photo, Video



Advertisement

Relay Media Amp

Advertisement

Advertisement




New Mexico crime lab clears rape kit backlog, governor says

Herrell still refusing to concede 2nd Congressional District race

US says 7-year-old who died in custody had not appeared ill

Newborn drug dependency on the rise in New Mexico

New Mexico Bowl to bring big money to Land of Enchantment