2018 NM Special Olympics start with huge announcement, sigh of relief
May 18, 2018 10:46 PM
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. – It's been a bumpy road for New Mexico's Special Olympic athletes.
The state cut more than $300,000 of their funding last year, meaning higher registration fees for participants, fewer meals and missing out on the national competition.
But a big announcement Friday night at the start of the 2018 games had everyone celebrating.
"When we lost the $300,000 contract with the State of New Mexico, there was a lot of angst in them," said Randy Mascorella, executive director of Special Olympics New Mexico. "It was scary to them, to be quite honest with you."
But that anxiety gave way to relief Friday when it was announced a partnership with the New Mexico Department of Tourism will secure that $300,000 for the organization this year, branding the Special Olympics as being "New Mexico true."
"They're all about celebrating the people of New Mexico, building pride in the State of New Mexico and talking about New Mexico stories, and I think that's a great partnership and we're just really very, very thankful," Mascorella said.
It comes as more than a relief for Mascorella
"This is so much of their entire life, and many were very fearful of what if we don't have this anymore," she said.
Now 900 athletes can take the field this weekend without worry, focusing on what they do best – compete.
Updated: May 18, 2018 10:46 PM
Created: May 18, 2018 09:39 PM
Copyright 2018 KOB-TV LLC, a Hubbard Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved