CABQ advises on how to report weed problems | KOB 4

CABQ advises on how to report weed problems

Erica Zucco
July 10, 2018 06:29 PM

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. - Along with rain comes an influx of weeds- many of which homeowners are responsible for removing. Albuquerque code enforcement says its received many calls, some from neighbors who are simply annoyed – others, with serious concerns.


“They have been considered unsightly,” said Carmelina Hart of CABQ Code Enforcement. “They dry out? Then they become a fire hazard. And there's allergies as well.”

The Solid Waste Department takes control of weeds on some public property, and Parks and Recreation handles their spaces, but many weeds are on homeowners to pull, cut or mow.

“It is your responsibility to take care of your weeds on the front, rear and side of your yard,” Hart said. “In addition in the front, you need to take care of the curb to the sidewalk.”

The ordinance says weeds can’t be taller or wider than 4 inches.

If neighbors aren’t following the rules, people can request the city to step in.

“Call 311 and then at 311 we'll route the complaint to the appropriate department,” Hart said.

Code enforcement says on average, complaints take around 1-4 weeks to get through. Each violation is handled separately, so for a new weed, another call may be needed.


Erica Zucco

Copyright 2018 KOB-TV LLC, a Hubbard Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved

Comment on Facebook

Share 4 - News Tips - Photos - Videos
  Share a News Tip, Story Idea, Photo, Video


Relay Media Amp



New Mexico requires co-prescription of opioid reversal drug

NM United fans leave Albuquerque for Dallas

4 Investigates: Federal government shirks responsibility of caring for migrants to NM towns

Allocations available for some waitlisted disability waivers

Las Cruces police ID man killed in shootout with authorities