CABQ advises on how to report weed problems | KOB 4

CABQ advises on how to report weed problems

Erica Zucco
July 10, 2018 06:29 PM

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. - Along with rain comes an influx of weeds- many of which homeowners are responsible for removing. Albuquerque code enforcement says its received many calls, some from neighbors who are simply annoyed – others, with serious concerns.


“They have been considered unsightly,” said Carmelina Hart of CABQ Code Enforcement. “They dry out? Then they become a fire hazard. And there's allergies as well.”

The Solid Waste Department takes control of weeds on some public property, and Parks and Recreation handles their spaces, but many weeds are on homeowners to pull, cut or mow.

“It is your responsibility to take care of your weeds on the front, rear and side of your yard,” Hart said. “In addition in the front, you need to take care of the curb to the sidewalk.”

The ordinance says weeds can’t be taller or wider than 4 inches.

If neighbors aren’t following the rules, people can request the city to step in.

“Call 311 and then at 311 we'll route the complaint to the appropriate department,” Hart said.

Code enforcement says on average, complaints take around 1-4 weeks to get through. Each violation is handled separately, so for a new weed, another call may be needed.


Erica Zucco

Copyright 2018 KOB-TV LLC, a Hubbard Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved

Comment on Facebook

Share 4 - News Tips - Photos - Videos
  Share a News Tip, Story Idea, Photo, Video


Relay Media Amp



New Mexico fugitive priest arrested, pleads not guilty to child abuse charges

After initial concerns of nearby drug use, historic Barelas eatery reopens

Gang ties take center stage during latest hearing in Victoria Martens case

Gym's questionable logos raising eyebrows

40 nonprofits awarded grants by PNM for work in New Mexico