Father accused in death of 1-year-old daughter released from custody
January 11, 2019 05:12 PM
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. - The father accused in the death of his 1-year-old daughter has been granted release on his own recognizance with pre-trial services.
Judge Charles Brown denied the prosecution's request for the pre-trial detention of David Zuber. Zuber has been charged with child abuse and tampering with evidence in the death of his daughter Anastazia.
The girl was reported missing in December and was found buried in the backyard of a northeast Albuquerque home last week.
Police say the child's mother, Monique Romero, left her two-year-old child and Anastazia in a bathtub, which was full of water and when she returned, she said Anastazia was not responsive.
Romero said she didn't seek medical attention for the child. Instead, she said Zuber left the apartment with Anastazia's body. Romero told police that Zuber returned and said, "it was taken care of."
A detective spoke in court Friday about the state of Anastazia's body when they found it.
"It was buried in the backyard underneath the remains of a dead dog. The body was inside two white plastic trash bags, inside of a black duffle bag," detective Gabriel Candelaria said.
Despite the testimony from the officer and the prosecution's assertions that Zuber has a history of drug use and failing to appear in court, the judge refused to hold Zuber in jail pending trial.
"There's nothing in there that shows he intentionally caused the death of his daughter," Judge Charles Brown said.
Romero was released from custody on Wednesday.
Updated: January 11, 2019 05:12 PM
Created: January 11, 2019 09:53 AM
Copyright 2019 KOB-TV LLC, a Hubbard Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved