Holiday decorations prove dangerous for pets
December 05, 2018 07:02 PM
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M.— A veterinarian at Southwest Veterinary Medical Center said the clinic expects to see more patients coming in during the holidays.
Dr. Daniel Levenson said Christmas decorations can be dangerous for dogs, cats and rabbits.
He said most cases are with cats and dogs ingesting ribbon, yarn or twine. Pine needles, insects on the tree and ornaments also raise concern, said Dr. Levenson.
He mentioned that most pet owners aren’t aware that the water pan beneath a Christmas tree can be dangerous if a pet drinks from it. He said the trees can contain fertilizer that ends up in the water and it can become stagnant.
Other vet visits are because of ingesting foods for humans and eating plants like mistletoe, poinsettias, lilies and holly.
“A lot of these plants are intestinal irritants. So they cause problems in the mouth, problems in the esophagus, problems in the stomach and the intestines. They’re not necessarily fatal,” said Dr. Levenson.
But if they ingest large amounts of decorations, Dr. Levenson said a pet could end up needing surgery.
He said the best thing to do is take the pet to the vet if there is any suspicion that it could’ve eaten a decoration.
Updated: December 05, 2018 07:02 PM
Created: December 05, 2018 06:56 PM
Copyright 2018 KOB-TV LLC, a Hubbard Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved