Holiday decorations prove dangerous for pets | KOB 4
Advertisement

Holiday decorations prove dangerous for pets

Casey Torres
December 05, 2018 07:02 PM

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M.—  A veterinarian at Southwest Veterinary Medical Center said the clinic expects to see more patients coming in during the holidays.

Advertisement

Dr. Daniel Levenson said Christmas decorations can be dangerous for dogs, cats and rabbits.

He said most cases are with cats and dogs ingesting ribbon, yarn or twine. Pine needles, insects on the tree and ornaments also raise concern, said Dr. Levenson.

He mentioned that most pet owners aren’t aware that the water pan beneath a Christmas tree can be dangerous if a pet drinks from it. He said the trees can contain fertilizer that ends up in the water and it can become stagnant.

Other vet visits are because of ingesting foods for humans and eating plants like mistletoe, poinsettias, lilies and holly.

“A lot of these plants are intestinal irritants. So they cause problems in the mouth, problems in the esophagus, problems in the stomach and the intestines. They’re not necessarily fatal,” said Dr. Levenson.

But if they ingest large amounts of decorations, Dr. Levenson said a pet could end up needing surgery.

He said the best thing to do is take the pet to the vet if there is any suspicion that it could’ve eaten a decoration.

Credits

Casey Torres

Copyright 2018 KOB-TV LLC, a Hubbard Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved

Advertisement
Comment on Facebook

Share 4 - News Tips - Photos - Videos
  Share a News Tip, Story Idea, Photo, Video



Advertisement

Relay Media Amp

Advertisement

Advertisement




Bernalillo County to consider major project to tackle mental health crisis

Driver leaves keys in ambulance, thief leads police on chase

Overnight fire displaces resident

Financial expert offers holiday spending tips

Northwest Albuquerque neighborhood experiences frequent drive-by shootings