No more 'recreational' outings for man accused of brutal shovel attack
June 13, 2018 08:40 PM
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. – A judge has ordered that the man accused of carrying out a brutal shovel attack, which almost killed a then-teenage girl, not be allowed to leave his house for recreational outings.
The incident was caught on camera by the sister of the woman he pleaded no contest to nearly beating to death, almost a decade ago.
"We still have to look behind our shoulder to see if he's there," said the victim's sister Alicia Marcell.
In court, Hansen stood next to his attorney, who calls this is a non-issue because pre-trial services gave Hansen the green light for his baseball outing.
"A baseball game is a fairly benign activity. It's something suitable for kids to do of all ages. There's nothing harmful in it," said defense attorney Rose Osborne.
Pre-trial services said the plain language of Hansen's conditions of release, handed down by the previous judge, did not explicitly demand "house arrest," but did say he needed to be supervised 24/7. The prosecution insists that was the spirit of the order.
"We also have a report that came in after the motion that in the last couple of months someone had seen him at a restaurant," said prosecutor David Waymire.
Judge Cindy Leos said she would review the audio and transcripts of when Judge Charles Brown handed down the conditions of release last year to see if he implied a house arrest order. Until then, Hansen is ordered to stay away from recreational activities.
Hansen is set to be sentenced on July 25. He faces up to 18 years in prison.
Updated: June 13, 2018 08:40 PM
Created: June 13, 2018 06:17 AM
Copyright 2018 KOB-TV LLC, a Hubbard Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved