Justin Hansen sentenced to 18 years in prison for brutal shovel beating
KOB Web Staff
July 26, 2018 02:54 PM
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. - Justin Hansen has been sentenced to 18 years in prison and two years parole for the 2008 attack on Brittani Marcell.
Hansen was arrested in July of 2017, nine years after then Cibola High School senior Brittani Marcell was beaten with a shovel. Police linked DNA evidence found at the crime scene to him.
During the sentencing hearing Wednesday, Marcell spoke about the surgeries and hardship she's endured.
"When people look at me, they may think I’m doing okay, but it has been 20-plus surgeries. I don’t know if I’ll ever recover 100 percent," Marcell told the courtroom.
Marcell became emotional when she spoke about her future.
"I’m fearful I won’t get married or have children or live alone again," Marcell said. "It’s not normal for a 17-year-old to get attacked by a shovel."
In April, Hansen pleaded no contest to attempted murder and aggravated burglary with a deadly weapon.
He also spoke during the hearing. Without admitted guilty, he apologized to Brittani and the entire Marcell family for what they've gone through over the past year.
Hansen began choking up when speaking about his three young children.
"I would like to tell my son Bryce that I love you, you are so handsome, smart (inaudible). You are more than I ever dreamed or imagined," Hansen said while fighting back tears.
KOB has followed Brittani's case since the day of the tragedy. Here's a look at a timeline of the case:
- September 2008 - Brittani Marcell is brutally attacked and beaten inside her home in Northwest Albuquerque. The attack is so severe that Brittani suffers memory loss and can not remember what happened.
- June 2010 - Brittani's case is featured on America's Most Wanted as her family fights to bring her attacker to justice.
- June 2015 - Brittani begins to recall details of what happened the day she was attacked and police released a sketch of the suspect to the public.
- July 2017 - Justin Hansen is arrested after police say DNA evidence found at the crime scene was linked to him.
- July 2017 - Justin Hansen is indicted on five counts including attempted murder.
- February 2018 - APD acknowledges the destruction of several pieces of key evidence including the knife and shovel used in the attack.
- April 2018 - Hansen pleads "no contest" to attempted murder and aggravated burglary with a deadly weapon.
- June 2018 - Controversy is stirred after Hansen is spotted at an Albuquerque Isotopes game. The outing was approved by pre-trial services.
- July 2018 - Hansen is set to be sentenced and faces up to 18 years behind bars.
KOB Web Staff
Updated: July 26, 2018 02:54 PM
Created: July 25, 2018 05:13 PM
Copyright 2019 KOB-TV LLC, a Hubbard Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved