Compost fire prompts health alert in Albuquerque
August 31, 2018 07:18 AM
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. - The City of Albuquerque has issued a health alert due to smoke from a large compost fire in the south valley.
Officials say those with respiratory conditions should limit their outdoor activity. Initially the alert was set to expire at 4 p.m. on Thursday, however, officials say smoke is still emitting from the compost pile. The alert is not set to expire at noon on Friday.
The fire was sparked early Thursday morning near I-25 and the Broadway exit.
According to the Bernalillo County Fire Department, the fire was burning on compost piles that were about 25 feet deep on the property of Western Organic.
Eight fire trucks battled the flames in addition to a helicopter dropping water from the air.
Officials said they will likely be on scene until Friday making sure hot spots do not get out of control.
Fire investigators believe heat from decomposing mulch started the fire.
Updated: August 31, 2018 07:18 AM
Created: August 30, 2018 06:33 AM
Copyright 2019 KOB-TV LLC, a Hubbard Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved