Updated: December 12, 2019 10:15 PM
Created: December 12, 2019 11:19 AM
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — Here's a look at the first Metro 15. The operation is an effort help crack down on crime by identifying the top 15 offenders in Albuquerque.
The Albuquerque Police Department released the names and mugshots via Twitter Thursday morning.
Police said 12 of the offenders have lengthy criminal histories. Prosecutors also believe they will have a solid case to keep them behind bars once they are arrested.
"I can tell you after 25 years in law enforcement - that the collaboration that we're seeing with this initiative, in response to the increase in violence that we've had in our community, the means for us to succeed are there," said APD commander Mizel Garcia.
When asked about when the Metro 15 project began, KOB received different answers.
Keller announced during the a press conference that it had been in the works for nine months.
However, the police department said they started working on it in October. An APD spokesperson said it’s actually part of a bigger project, Violence Interruption Program, which started several months ago.
Officials with the district attorney’s office and attorney general’s office did not say when they were initially told about the project.
If anyone has information about the offenders, call Crime Stoppers at (505) 843-STOP.
Copyright 2019 - KOB-TV LLC, A Hubbard Broadcasting Company