Plan to remove colonialism monuments in Santa Fe stalls | KOB 4
Advertisement

Plan to remove colonialism monuments in Santa Fe stalls

Plan to remove colonialism monuments in Santa Fe stalls

The Associated Press
Updated: September 15, 2020 06:38 AM
Created: September 15, 2020 06:36 AM

SANTA FE, N.M. (AP) — The fate of monuments linked to Spanish colonialism and violence against Native Americans in Santa Fe remains unclear months after the city's mayor called for their removal.

The Santa Fe New Mexican reports a proposed Truth and Reconciliation Commission has yet to form and two monuments still stand but are surrounded by plywood.

Advertisement

Mayor Alan Webber said in a statement the City Attorney’s Office is reviewing unspecified “legal issues” involved with the statues and monuments.

Earlier this year, a statue of Spanish conquistador Don Diego de Vargas was taken down on the eve of a planned protest over fears it would spark violence.


(Copyright 2020 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Comment on Facebook
Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement


Navajo Nation reports 4 new deaths, 17 additional COVID-19 cases

DEA says meth is to blame for Albuquerque’s crime crisis

Lujan Grisham orders flags flown at half-staff for Ginsburg

Search and rescue crews warn of dangers of hiking La Luz Trail unprepared

Out of the Darkness Virtual Experience helps raise awareness about suicide prevention