Carbon monoxide: The silent killer
December 06, 2018 06:02 PM
FARMINGTON, N.M.- Fire officials in the Four Corners are advising residents to be aware of the risk of carbon monoxide leaks.
"You can't see it, you can't smell it, you can't usually tell if it is coming in at minute rates," said Fire Marshal Brandy Vega.
The potential for a deadly build up in a home skyrockets in the winter, but there are ways for people to protect themselves.
"Obviously carbon monoxide alarms, super critical. Especially in areas where it gets as cold as it does here or you are running your heater at times that you haven't run it for several months," Vega said.
According to the fire department, it's not enough just to have a carbon monoxide alarm in the home, people should also make sure to check the batteries regularly.
"If it starts beeping, that means either there is a problem or there is a battery issue," Vega said.
Created: December 06, 2018 06:02 PM
Copyright 2018 KOB-TV LLC, a Hubbard Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved