Officials: Carlsbad sinkhole to take 2 years to fill | KOB 4
Advertisement

Officials: Carlsbad sinkhole to take 2 years to fill

Officials: Carlsbad sinkhole to take 2 years to fill Photo: Hobbs News-Sun

The Associated Press
August 07, 2018 06:53 AM

CARLSBAD, N.M. (AP) - A massive sinkhole on the southern edge of Carlsbad and along a busy intersection will take officials two years to fill.

Advertisement

The Hobbs News-Sun reports New Mexico Department of Transportation engineer Tim Parker said last week the $43 million project will proceed 24 hours a day, seven days a week, as workers fill in the sinkhole with 300,000 to 1 million cubic yards of materials.

He said 26 to 28 wells will be drilled over the sinkhole in a grid pattern which will be used to pump materials into the sinkhole.

The sinkhole is a former brine well, which was closed in 2008 when the ground was deemed unstable. Brine wells hold saltwater for oil and gas operations and leave behind underground caverns.

Parker says around 42,000 vehicles a day pass through the junction.

___

Information from: Hobbs News-Sun, http://www.hobbsnews.com

(Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Credits

The Associated Press

Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Advertisement
Comment on Facebook

Share 4 - News Tips - Photos - Videos
  Share a News Tip, Story Idea, Photo, Video



Advertisement

Relay Media Amp

Advertisement

Advertisement







Local groups host event to fight opioid abuse

Companies come together to build playground for boy battling cancer

Bernalillo County rolls out new mobile voting unit

Investigators look into what sparked fire at Albuquerque business

Lobos fall to Fresno State at University Stadium