Crews train for gas line rupture in Hobbs
November 02, 2018 09:38 PM
HOBBS, N.M.- A training course took place at New Mexico Junior College Thursday.
The goal of the course was to provide safety measures to prevent harm from a gas line rupture. During a demonstration, a mock gas line ruptured and crews had to attend to the injured.
"What we tell people is, 'typically, you can hear it, see it, or smell it,'" said Laura Harrison, who works for NM811, a nonprofit organization that dispatches resources to make sure there aren't buried utility lines before a person starts a project that requires digging.
Manuel Espinoza, who works for a local excavation company, said the hazards of a gas leak can be far-reaching.
"It can actually cost them their lives, as well as the other people that are in their household, neighbors, it can affect into the environment," said Espinoza.
Updated: November 02, 2018 09:38 PM
Created: November 01, 2018 07:02 PM
Copyright 2018 KOB-TV LLC, a Hubbard Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved