None injured after pair of overnight house fires in Roswell
April 20, 2018 07:02 PM
ROSWELL, N.M. – The Roswell Fire Department was busy overnight, fighting two separate house fires.
The first fire sparked at about 11:40 p.m. Thursday at the 1100 block of West Walnut Street.
Matt Miller, fire marshal for the Roswell Fire Department, said crews contained the blaze in a matter of minutes. As for the cause, Miller said they don't know definitively what started the fire, but they have an idea.
"It was most likely caused by the use of a space heater that was too close to combustible materials, items in the room," he said.
The man inside the apartment was taken to a hospital and treated for smoke inhalation.
But it wouldn't be a quiet rest of the night for local fire crews. A few hours later, around 3:40 a.m. Friday, they received a call for another fire.
This time, the house in the 700 block of Greenbrier Street was a total loss. The owner of the house woke up just in time to get out and call for help.
"I was asleep and all of a sudden I heard some lights go off inside the house," Renee De Los Santos said. "I woke up, I came out and saw a flame – a fire on the patio."
The cause of this fire was not the same as the first blaze.
"At this time, I believe it is probable that there were electrical problems within the house, especially at the electrical meter where it's tied into the house," Miller said.
The fire marshal added both residents were lucky.
"I cannot beat this near enough, smoke detectors are so very important," Miller said. "I did not find any indications of any smoke detectors in either one of these two houses that sustained fires this morning."
He said not everyone smells smoke when they're asleep and, if they do, the fire is usually out of control by that point.
Created: April 20, 2018 07:02 PM
Copyright 2018 KOB-TV LLC, a Hubbard Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved