Pecan weevil has New Mexico authorities on guard | KOB 4
Advertisement

Pecan weevil has New Mexico authorities on guard

Pecan weevil has New Mexico authorities on guard

The Associated Press
February 01, 2018 07:19 AM

LAS CRUCES, N.M. - New Mexico agriculture officials say an emergency quarantine recently extended in hopes of stopping the spread of an invasive bug threatening the state's pecan industry will remain in place as they look to protect the largest pecan-growing county in the United States.

Advertisement

State Agriculture Secretary Jeff Witte said Wednesday that growers across the state produced an estimated $213 million in pecans last year, with most of that coming from Dona Ana County.

While the county is free of pecan weevils, Witte said officials want to make sure it stays that way by restricting the movement of in-shell pecans from other areas and requiring that they be treated through cold storage methods.

Freezing the nuts will kill the pests.

Authorities also are concerned about an uptick in pecan thefts, from buckets to truckloads worth thousands of dollars.

Credits

The Associated Press

Copyright 2018 KOB-TV LLC, a Hubbard Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved

Advertisement



Advertisement

Relay Media Amp

Advertisement

Advertisement



Men's soccer, others on the chopping block at UNM Regents meeting today

Family, friends remember woman who died in hit-and-run crash

Couple accused of abusing three children

UNM beach volleyball players plan to fight for team

UNM men's soccer expected to be one of four programs cut