Restaurant honors firefighters who tried to save building
July 18, 2018 07:49 PM
RUIDOSO, N.M.— It’s been nearly three months since the barbeque restaurant Can’t Stop Smokin went up in flames. Sid Goodloe, the public relations officer for the restaurant said the State Fire Marshal ruled the fire as accidental. He thinks it could have possibly been caused by a cigarette butt someone threw out.
The restaurant has been in the rebuilding process. Goodloe said they are dealing with the insurance for now, but the owners are focused more on giving back to those who fought the fire on April 29.
“The men and women of the fire department here in Ruidoso and surrounding fire departments: Mescalero, Glencoe, Bonito and Ruidoso Downs all came and jumped on this fire,” Goodloe said. “They did an amazing job of controlling this and making sure it didn’t get out.”
The owners came up with the idea to sell t-shirts as a fundraiser to keep fire crews prepared for any type of call.
The shirts have a picture of the building burning on the front and a Ruidoso fire emblem on top of it.
The restaurant hopes to sell 500 shirts for $20 each. They are currently on sale at the “Light in the Attic” home goods store and on the Can’t Stop Smokin BBQ Facebook page.
Goodloe said they also hope to sell the shirts from their new wagon that will serve food from outside the burned property. He said if the Village of Ruidoso council approves the food-wagon, they hope to start serving food and selling T-shirts on August 1.
He said they’ve been busy with their mobile catering business and at their Alamogordo location, but hope to rebuild as soon as possible.
For now, they’re just following their motto, “Can’t Stop, Won’t Stop.”
“We’re not planning on quitting what we do. Those guys fight hard and don’t quit what they do,” Goodloe said.
Created: July 18, 2018 07:49 PM
Copyright 2018 KOB-TV LLC, a Hubbard Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved