Boston Pops July Fourth show returns for 1st time in 3 years
BOSTON (AP) — The Boston Pops Fireworks Spectacular, a July Fourth holiday tradition in the city, is returning to its full glory after a three-year coronavirus hiatus, the Boston Symphony Orchestra said Thursday.
The show at the Hatch Memorial Shell on the Charles River Esplanade will feature not only the Boston Pops under the direction of conductor Keith Lockhart for the 27th year, but the Tanglewood Festival Chorus, the Middlesex County Volunteers Fifes & Drums, and special guest performers that will be announced at a later date.
This year’s free show will also include a tribute to David Mugar, whose support of the event starting in 1974 transformed it from a local event into a national celebration. Mugar died in January.
“The past three years have given us profound lessons on the importance of not taking things for granted and appreciating the many everyday gifts of our lives, as well as caring and looking out for each other,” Lockhart said in a statement. “I am so grateful that we can come together once again to celebrate Independence Day and all that we aspire to be as citizens of this great country and the city we’re proud to call home.”
The 2020 live show was canceled. Last year featured a pared down event, with the Pops playing at Tanglewood in western Massachusetts and a fireworks show in Boston.
The event dates to 1929, but was revitalized by Mugar in the 1970s.
The Boston Pops Fireworks Spectacular will be broadcast live nationally on Bloomberg TV and radio, and locally on WHDH-TV.
“This celebration is one of the most iconic ways that the Commonwealth honors the Fourth of July, and we are glad that it is returning to its traditional format this year,” Gov. Charlie Baker said in a statement.
Copyright 2022 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.