Elderly couple saved from house fire

[anvplayer video=”5017585″ station=”998127″]

FARMINGTON, N.M.- An elderly couple survived a terrifying ordeal in Kirtland.

The couple’s home caught fire, and they had trouble getting out because they both use wheelchairs.

Thankfully, first responders arrived and managed to get the couple to safety.

A month prior to the incident, the fire department went to the couple’s home to install working smoke detectors.

It’s what first responders say alerted the couple to the fire.

"They were alert long before any of your senses will pick up the smoke and give you enough time to call for help and to get out of the residence or whatever building or in an ample time," said San Juan County Fire Chief John Mohler.

Fire officials say smoke detector batteries should be checked and replaced twice a year.

"You want to mount them up the ceiling, on the wall preferably outside of bedrooms and hallways probably not too close to the kitchen but somewhere where everybody’s active," Mohler said.

People can call San Juan County Rescue if they don’t have working smoke detectors.