Suspect killed, deputy shot in Valencia County

[anvplayer video=”5054134″ station=”998127″]

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — A suspect was shot and killed after a pursuit Friday afternoon in Valencia County. One Valencia County deputy was shot and taken to UNM Hospital with non-life-threatening injuries and another deputy was struck by shrapnel.

Authorities said they are investigating two scenes – one on Highway 314 just south of Isleta and another along Highway 6 near Los Lunas.

According to New Mexico State Police, Valencia County deputies were dispatched to Highway 6 around mile marker 19 for a suspicious vehicle. When deputies arrived, they found a Honda Civic.

"At some point during the encounter, a male suspect fired at the deputy who was struck by gunfire," said NMSP officer Ray Wilson. "The suspect then fled the area in a white Dodge pickup."

Additional Valencia County deputies quickly found the pickup and began pursuing the suspect through Los Lunas. State police heard the radio traffic and assisted in the pursuit. The suspect’s vehicle turned onto Highway 314, and then crashed near the railroad tracks near Davila Road.

"At that point a male suspect exited the Dodge and began to fire gunshots at VCSO deputies," Wilson said. "At that location, two VCSO deputies discharged their duty weapons at the suspect. During the exchange, a VCSO deputy was struck with shrapnel. A NMSP officer also discharged his duty weapon. During the exchange of gunfire, the suspect was struck and died at the scene."

Authorities said the names of those involved will not be released at this time. The investigation is ongoing.

State police said that reform is needed. NMSP Chief Tim Johnson said violent offenders need to be locked up until trial.

"I don’t know how they do that – I’m not smart enough, I’m not a lawyer – on how they get that accomplished, but I hope they do, and I know the vast majority of the citizens in the state hope they figure that out too, because they’re tired of this as well," Johnson said.

Authorities said there was also a female suspect who ran away following the chase. State police said she was detained, but there’s no decision on charges at this time.